Wednesday 12 January 2011

This love will be your downfall but I'll take what I want from your heart and I'll keep it

Ok so the remaining 3 albums came in the post that I was waiting for. AFI: Decemberunderground (the one with the bonus tracks =D), MCR: Danger Days etc. and Ellie Goulding: Bright Lights. This makes me rather happy because I wanted some new music and also I needed the MCR one as I am seeing them in February and I am actually very excited for it. I don't care if it will be full of little scene and emo kids, it's still gonna be awesome!
I love seeing bands live. Even if I don't particularly know their stuff (like Sick Puppies) it's gonna be good because listening to music live is one of the best things in life as far as I'm concerned. It's the atmosphere. The feel of the beat through your feet, the audience totally at the control of the band, belting the songs back at them until your throat is raw. Dancing with the current of the crowd moving you knowing that your neck is going to hurt for the next 5 years. The lights, the sound, the electric air. It's just the best!

But now the beef of today and it's pretty tough beef. The re-release of albums with extra tracks within a year of the original release. WHY? Why do they do this to us? I had this issue with Stone Sour's Come What(ever) May. I bought the original album almost as soon as it came out because I found the tracks were really awesome and I loved that album. Then about a month or two later they released a new version with a bonus dvd and extra tracks and I was rather narked. Now I'm not blaming the artists themselves, it's the record companies. They want more money out of us.
I'm pretty lucky that I didn't buy the first release of Ellie Goulding's Lights and have just got the re-released one because there are about 7 extra tracks! What do you do if you really want the re-released one? Do you just have two versions of almost the same album or do you get rid of the first or just be bitter about it?
I'll tell you what I am ok with though. Placebo re-released their self titled album for a 10th anniversary release. That's fine! Anniversary editions are normally remastered version and have some of the B-Sides from singles and that's rather nice. It's been several years since the release and ok so the record companies still just want your money but it's better in my opinion. I also am completely fine with releasing limited/special editions alongside and
at the same time as the normal CD because then you have an option. It's there in front of you. You can buy which ever release you want and that's cool.

Beefing over.
Review times!

Ellie Goulding: Bright Lights

Actually it's pretty weird that there was a smaller version of this album. This one is just shy of the 1hr mark and if you take off the re-released tracks Lights was about 40minutes which is
small for a full album. It's poppy and dancey for a lot of the album. Nothing new but what she does, she does very well. If her music came on in a club I would want to dance to it. I really like The Writer, it's a nice track. Actually I would quite like to hear some acoustic versions of these tracks. Like her version of Your Song. It shows off her voice so well and yes ok so I first heard her music when that was played on the John Lewis Christmas advert and was sold instantly. It's acoustic and beautiful but that does not mean that I am disappointed that the rest of the album doesn't follow suit, I would just be interested to hear more in that style =)


7/100

There will probably be another review later today of the new MCR album because I want to listen through all of it, rate it all and give my 50c on the matter.

All the loves, Buttercup xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment