Monday 17 January 2011

Play something familiar!

Ok this one will be relatively short. I've been listening to the other The Decemberists albums and since I'm rating them on iTunes I should be mentioning them here.

The Crane Wife

I prefered this one to Castaways. I especially loved the three title tracks and Shankill Butchers. It is similar on a theme to Castaways, it's more folky rock. I don't see their music changing that much between the albums but that is no great shame. They have a sound and their sticking pretty close to it, which is fine when the sound is a pretty good one =). My main gripe with this album is that I don't like the cover at all! I know that's terrible and superficial but I think it is important. Doesn't detract from the sound though =p
.5
and no it wasn't the cover that stopped it shy of the 5 star mark =p it was the track When The War Came... just not as good.

13/100


Her Majesty/Her Majesty The Decemberists

This one is not as good as Crane Wife but still a good cd. The Gymnast, High Above The Ground feels like it goes on for an age, not too terribly but it gets a bit tiresome to me. At just over 7 minutes that's pretty understandable. There is only one problem with this band, that I have found with a lot of bands actually. It is that the tracks blend too well into each other and you don't realise that it's a different song any more. It's ok but it would be nice if it could break out once in a while.
Ok saying that the star track of this album started playing. Red Right Ankle. Awesome lyrics!
"This is the story of your red right ankle
And how it came to meet your leg
And how the muscle, bone, and sinews tangled
And how the skin was softly shed"
Genius!


14/100


Picaresque

This has some gems and some meh tracks. I particularly love The Infanta, Eli The Barrowboy and Sixteen Militay Wives (if only for the line: and the anchorperson on TV goes la de da de da). Again more of the same. If you liked the previous tracks/albums then you will most likely like this album. I'm still not complaining because they are good at what they do but I'm pretty impressed that an artist has managed to stick to their box so well and yet not made it too dull.
I quite like The Mariner's Revenge. It's almost 9 minutes long but it's a tale so it's quite interesting to listen to.


15/100


5 Songs EP

This EP has 6 tracks. I'm not kiding. I don't really understand it. I understand the "4 Track" Ep because you can record songs on 4 tracks and so it's not talking about the amount of songs. Since this is an EP it doesn't count but it's pretty good. Apology is pretty amusing and I like I Don't Mind and Shiny. So that's half the EP enjoyed =p
.5
So that's all of The Decemberists that I have done. Tired now

Love Buttercup xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment