Friday 7 January 2011

It's now safe to turn off your computer and read a book


Finished my first book of the year. I'm not the fastest reader and this book was over 600 pages (although I had started it last year =D). Anyway...

Rachel Vincent's Stray (Book 1 in the series)

Yeah I know, it's one of them paranormal malarkies. I like to call it urban fantasy because that sounds waaaay cooler. I'm a huge fan of UF, like really, except I am very fussy on my vampires (read Kim Harrison's Dead Witch Walking for a pretty good one imo) and I'm not too keen on werewolves. Why? Well it's old hat basically. Everyone is a vampire or a werewolf or a wizard, it's just a bit boring. I like faeries and pixies and in the case of this book; werecats. Yup they turn into huuuuuuuuuge black panthers.
Small plotness: Faythe (ignore the name and pretend it's something more normal or even spelt more normally but that's a side gripe) is the protagonist and it is 1st person writing which is nice. She wants to go to college and get an education and stuff but her daddy doesn't want her to. She's a tabby and in this story female werecats/tabbies are rare and very much required to produce more toms and tabbies. She doesn't want to, you know the standard being a rebelliouskidnapped and stuff happens. I'm not gong to spoiler it... that would just be lame.

It's a nice read, I'm probably going to get the rest of the books (there are six already ¬¬) but this one works well as a stand alone if you just want something to read. It doesn't break any boundaries into any new or untrodden realms but it isn't offensive either. I personally enjoyed it and would have read it faster if I had taken it out of my bag more often (I carry my books on the bus to and from town so I sometimes forget that they are there =$). person and stuff but her daddy keeps tabs on her whilst he lets her go to college. Like sends his enforcers to watch her, which is just as well really because she gets attacked by a stray and thus the story is set. She is taken back home whilst other tabbies are being
Rating:

1/52

And an album review because like I said I'm on a bit of a roll and I have over 3k albums so 100 isn't even going to dent that. The more the merrier I guess =)

Pendulum: Immersion

Ok so I was actually impressed from the beginning of this album. They've clearly taken from In Silco and built on it. I really liked In Silco and this is that but better. It starts with Genesis (as things seem to) and it is just a short intro track but they use a combination of Spanish style trumpets (see the opening to Propane Nightmares - In Silco) and chiptune. I'm not even making this up and the best part is that it is amazing. They're using a softer sound than some of their earlier works making it less of a generic hardcore dance sound and adding subtle waves of artistic intricacy (doesn't that sound really awesome =p). Yeah there are some that sound more like popular hardcore dance/trance/electronica etc. but then it seems to move onto something else and mix it up a bit. That's what I like best. The tracks don't tend to stay in one style for too long. It's good =D
I'm always a bit nervous buying dancey types of albums (lik
e this and Deadmau5) because even though I know that I like the artist I always get worried that it's not going to be one I like and this certainly does not disappoint. In fact I need to put In Silco back on my iTunes and I think I might just listen to purely these two albums today. I think my stint on acousticy singer songwriter music might be on hiatus now.
Oh something I should mention: track 10 - Comprachicos (that is apparently a compound Spanish neologism for child-buyers O_o) has what sounds a bit like a skipped beat at 1:18 and at about 2:15 (at least on mine it does) but I reckon it's deliberate. Anyone else with the album to confirm? Basically if you have it too don't worry because I do as well =)
Rating:
Yeah the stars are gonna stay that big because it's my first five star-er =D

4/100

Love Buttercup xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment