Wednesday 9 February 2011

Mr. Charming don't come home anymore

So let's get this thing going =D

That was the most decent photo I could find. It was either this or small children or contortionists/hookas.
So I was in tai chi today and my teacher (I would say master or whatever it is meant to be but we are so informal that I wouldn't know what to actually call her) decided to be nice. Today I would be attempting that age old problem; the splits. I guess I can count myself lucky, we weren't revisiting the cartwheel (which I also can't do). Now I have a conundrum, I want to get more flexible and have better balance (splits don't help with balance that I do know =p) but practising to do the splits is hard work and it really hurts.
When I used to do dance on a regular basis we used to attempt splits on an infrequent basis and I couldn't get far enough to doing it. It was just one of those things that I wasn't really good at. I know it just means I should practise more and then I can do it but *procrastinates!*
I've decided I want to see if I can do it though. That would be pretty awesome to be honest. I would actually be so impressed with myself so here I go... well not right now, but over the next while I will see if I can actually do the splits... even if it is just once. Then I can say I've done it.


Seriously?
Ok so I was looking for a photo of an alto-flute because I am a bit pretentious. Also I really want one. That and a cello, as I have a love for the bassier sounding instruments (yet I play piccolo, how contradictory!). So I typed it into google and what did it show me? Well some pictures of some alto flutes and then the lady on the left. I was like wtf? It's a contrabass flute. I don't even understand how you play it. I knew of their existences but I never really looked into it. That's what they look like. the woman to the right owns all three of the metally bendy things that she is so proudly showing off... the smaller being the contrabass flute, then the subcontrabass flute and the doublecontrabass flute. Now my friends this is ridiculous! I was thinking "ha and alto flute! how ridiculous am I?" and there are people with these monstrosities! I would be happy if I could just play one once (although imagine how big your lungs would have to be!). Some people are ridiculous.
There are even bigger ones, normally made out of pipes that you stick on the side of houses called hyperbass flutes (although sometimes the name changes slightly as someone makes one a couple of feet longer or so). *Sigh* I think that's just called compensating (although what a sound it must make!)
I still want an alto and then possibly a bass flute... nothing too extreme.


Sara Bareilles: Little Voice

Review time. I received this album in the post today. I like it. She does some lovely tracks on it but a lot of them sound very polished. Too clean. I have some of her live tracks and she sounds so much better. She's giving it some welly and really putting some awesome bluesy styles in. Seriously, have a listen to some of her live stuff, it's really good.
Not saying that this isn't good, it's just not where her best work lies. But I really like Gravity and Fairytale and Love Song and stuff. It's poppy and happy and rather summery so it's nice and light. It's the kind of music I'm generally in the mood for. If I can't tell what to listen to then put on some light pop or alternative pop and away we go. It's all good. It's also quite a bit empowery in places and sometimes I just need that, you know? A little bit of  "yeah well? Screw that I'm better than that now!" and that's always nice for a little bit of a pick me up.
Oh and Undertow from Careful Confessions is really nice =)

27/100

Aereogramme may be done tomorrow because Blue just reminded me how awesome they are! I had forgotten. The downside of too much music!

To tomorrow!
Love buttercup xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment