Friday 11 February 2011

May you always be, may you always be, may you always be loved.

So Blue brought a band back to my attention. The wondrous Aereogramme. They had three studio albums and after their album "My Heart Has A Wish That You Would Not Go" they split. One member now is now a tour manager for Biffy Clyro, another is the same but for The Temper Trap and the remaining two members (Iain Cook and Craig B) have created another band as a duo known as The Unwinding Hours. Who, from what I can glean from Amazon samples, is basically the same as aereogramme so that is good =D
I added it to my amazon wishlist for later purchasing because I really like this band but how I found them was almost completely by chance. It was a track on a mixed selection CD by Rock Sound. Rock Sound is a music magazine and is... well it's not that bad but I stopped buying it because like most magazines it costs money and money can go on other things... like cds =).
So it was the track "Nightmares" from MHHaWTYWNG from no.93 and remembering this as a fact I wondered how many artists I discovered by this system:
  • Amusement Parks On Fire: Out Of The Angeles (86)
  • 36 Crazyfists: Felt Through A Phone Line (86)
  • Billy Talent: Covered In Cowardice (86)
  • Stone Sour: Reborn (87)
  • Alexisonfire: Boild Frogs (88)
  • Red Sparowes: Like The Howling Glory Of The Darkest winds, This Voice Was Thunderous And The Words Holy, Tangling Their Way Around Our Hearts And Clutching Our Innocent Awe (89) (stupid title)
  • Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly.: Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly. (89)
  • Senses Fail: Calling All Cars (91)
  • Aereogramme: Nightmares (93)
  • Explosions In The Sky: Catastrophe And The Cure (94) (awesome artist and will be reviewed later)
  • Madina Lake: Again And Again (105)
So as you can see that's a lot of music that they introduced me to. Although it was normally only one or two tracks that I liked on each month's mix I've been introduced to some very awesome bands. So clearly it was worth that if nothing else.

But reviewing time and I'm just listening through all of my Aereogramme music so here is a batch review =D



Not quite the right order but close enough L-R:
Sleep and Release (2003), A Story In White (2001)
My Heart Has A Wish That You Would Not Go (2007), Seclusion (2004)

My favourite is My Heart etc. most likely because it was the first album I listened to and I listened to it a lot. In the second half of my final year of ALevels this was something I listened to if not constantly then within my general playlist on my mp3 player. I remember listening to many of the tracks whilst walking to and from my bus stop, headphones in, in step with Danzel. There was a lot of walking done during Alevels to get to and from school, especially in the mornings. Walk further and be on time or walk less and undoubtedly be late. I hate walking that route now but it also has some fond memories, I'd just prefer not to do it ever again =p.
The music is rather progressive rock. It's generally nice and chilled with an almost lazy vocal line that is beautiful. Some wonderful instrumentation, more than just your standard rock outfit. They certainly enjoy their effects pedals and it's all good, you know? It's bad when an artist seems to just use effects because they can and for no other reason. These guys seem to have listened to what sounds good as well as using them because they can. It's all good.
Something I should mention though, some of their songs on their earlier works get rather shouty. They've kind of mellowed through the days that they have existed. So when I say these guys have a lazy laid back sound I'm referring to their more recent work and the one I know best. Just give them a listen and see what you think for yourselves. I'm just providing a small platform from which you can take a leap into something unknown and possibly good =)

Fave tracks?
A Story in White: Hatred
Sleep And Release: Black Path, Yes and A Winter's Discord
Seclusion: I Don't Need Your Love and Alternate Score (you're right Blue it is awesome!)
My Heart Has A Wish: Exits, Trenches, Nightmares and You're Always Welcome.

Here is an awesome quote from wikipedia from Craig B (vocalist) in 2010:
"By the time we got to My Heart Has a Wish, I just didn't feel like screaming anymore. I think I wasn't as angry by then and it would have felt slightly dishonest to continue trying to have screaming songs just for the sake of it. I mean, when I unfortunately stumble upon a Linkin Park song on the radio I can't help but think that guy sounds like a dick. What's he angry about now? Slayer at least still sound genuinely pissed off."

Just an awesome quote. I don't feel as angry or as hurt as I used to either Mr. B.  


So in the order that the images were in:


28-31/100

Yeah... okies I need to do other things... like sleep
or tidying my room
or... stuff
Love Buttercup

1 comment:

  1. I'm well into Aereogramme atm - excellent review, thanks ^^
    I will listen to the other tracks that you fav'd that I don't know :)
    I Don't Need Your Love is T_T i got a bit teary the first time i heard that.
    Yeah, i am the LOVE for Alternate Score atm. :)

    ReplyDelete