Sunday 13 March 2011

And I said don't bother you know we don't really love one another

So Japan is the main thing that people are thinking about right now. I'm not even going to try to give a comprehensive idea of what has been happening. BBC News is still playing things live on Japan but not continuously anymore (that link may or may not work later... I don't know how things work on there). All I really know is that there was a huge earthquake on Friday (two days ago) (8.9/9.0ish) with foreshocks (that I was not aware of) beforehand and aftershocks are still ongoing. There was a devastating tsunami that has ravaged the eastern coast. Currently 3 reactors in nuclear powerplants have warnings issued on them. Roughly 1,300 have died. If you want to find out more (although I think most people know that  basic information already) really use BBC News or another good news channel. NHK would be the best, being a Japanese channel but I don't know if they translate it into English.
I also have information of how things are from my good friend Anna-chan who is over in Japan this year. It's obviously worrying because there are scheduled powercuts so there are often periods of no news from her end, even though we know that she is safe. She's hopefully going to head south for a while with some friends which means it will be even safer =)
I hope things over there don't get any worse at all. This world seems to be going a little bonkers at the moment. Actually I find it hard to imagine what is happening. They show us videos of the different various things happening but it's hard to understand the scale. I can't imagine what a 30ft wave looks like. It just stumps me.


Some reviewage because it's what I do best.

So because I am ill I'm reading almost constantly, which is why I was able to read this one so quickly. It's the second book in the series (the first being Stray) and isn't bad. Strippers are going missing, strays are being killed and Faythe is yet again the one being targeted. The book isn't bad, it's not literary genius but it was good fun and I still find it interesting with the characters being werecats. Vincent had a tendency to reiterate things that we learnt in the first book about this idea, such as nudity being completely the norm between the siblings (they have to strip first before "shifting"). It is quite common for a series to do that but it is a tad bothersome. I've read the first book so I don't need the constant reminder. Hopefully it'll not happen in the third book. I quite like the series and would like to read more but if she keeps going over things again and again it'll get tiresome.
Ultimately if you like the paranormal genre and want a pretty easy read you will probably like this. It's first person from Faythe's perspective. She does like to try and create an overly "kick-ass" persona which is laughable in places but it's still a very good book. I'm just being overly critical. It was enjoyable =p
5/52

And another! This is the first of this series I have read and, as with most of the series by McCaffrey, it did not disappoint. It was another book I happily chose not to put down (it was a welcome distraction to coughing fits). The story follows a female alien who, as a very small child, was sent out from her spaceship in a pod, in hopes that she would survive. She is picked up by three miners who were drilling within a meteor field. It's rather like the beginnings of The Rowan but since I liked that book as well, I didn't mind. In fact thinking about it the opening idea is basically the same. It's completely different where they take it.
I found it beautifully written and very much in the style of McCaffrey. The way she links people together within the stories is well done. How they react to each other and show affection, especially the way the miners find Acorna like their child or niece, is just wonderfully built.
I'm hoping that the next three books that I own from the series will be just as enthralling. There are seven in total so far, not including three books of a secondary series, and if I enjoy these first four then I will just have to pick up the others asap. I like to read McCaffrey's books in quick succession with the plots swimming through my head. It's a beautiful work of sci-fi and fantasy. I'm never sure what genre to put some of her works under. Yes it's set in space but heck, there is a unicorn girl as one of the main characters, that's pretty big fantasy ideas there =p. No it's more sci-fi and would be classes as that, I know, but unicorns! It's not furry either, it's wonderfully idealised anthro work. But I ramble. Basically, lovely story that is set in space with a unicorn girl. Genre doesn't really matter =)

6/52 (I might catch up after all!)

I picked up this album (Norah Jones: Feels Like Home) recently from a charity shop and it wasn't bad. She has a wonderfully soft tone. Acousticy, alternativey, bluesy, country..y =p she's interesting although her music does start to sounds a bit samey, possibly because all of her music is rather slow. She is good to chillout to though, good for background ambience. It's inoffensive but not really a shining star of an album. Certainly pretty though =)

38/100

I just picked up Noah And The Whale: Peaceful The World Lays Me Down and it's rather good. It's very much like Zoey Van Goey and that area of music who/that I enjoy to listen to. It's acousticy and pretty and has a couple of pretty bouncy tracks. It's well worth a listen and the popular track 5 Years Time is really nice (it's the track that I first heard). My favourite tracks are: 2 Atoms In A Molecule, Second Lover, 5 Years Time, Peaceful The World Lays Me Down and Mary. I also have two tracks that are not on the album that are really good, if you fancy looking into these guys; Beating and 2 Bodies 1 Heart. It's well worth a listen.

39/100


That's pretty much it. I haven't been doing much recently simply from being ill. Hopefully things in Japan won't get too much worse. 

Love to all of you out there, stay safe
Buttercup xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment