Wednesday 9 March 2011

To influence a person is to give him one's own soul.

There isn't really much I want at the moment. I'm having a weird phase where I can look at lots of things and think "my those would be nice to have" and then close the tab that they are in. It's a restless sort of mood. I want to buy things but I just don't really care to buy them and then try to find space for them... saying that though I have ordered a ps1 dance mat game and a CD by Noah and the Whale (not the new one just released this week though... their first one). It is a fickle mood but there are a few things at present (mostly non material) that I want.


When will it end?
I, like many others of my generation grouping, have fond memories of pokemon. We played the gameboy games, we watched the cartoon/anime and we collected the cards. Most of these people have grown up now and consider it nothing more than a memory but I kind of still really like pokemon. Granted I am much more intune with the first 251 pokemon than the later releases but I still have some that I like in those later ones (see right: Plusle and Minun... so cute =3). Really the point is is that I would like to complete the first 151 cards... just one of each one, not even of each type (so I wouldn't want a base deck and a jungle version just either or (sorry if this is way over your head for some people... I'll stop my pokenerdery soon I promise!)) I'm only missing about 10 from the 151 set... I would collect up to 251 but I don't have many from the later 100 and I have almost none from the ones after that. It would just be nice... I like collecting things and these at least take up very little space.

 It was the best I could find as a picture!
I'm pretty ill right now. I've had a sore throat (red) for over a week and now have a terrible cough (yellow)... like really bad. I would rather like to be not ill... although a lot of people are ill right now and so I would like everyone to be not ill. A bit like wishing for world peace. I just don't want it to be a throat infection because I don't really want to have to take more medication and also I hate not singing... and if I start singing (like I did last night a bit ¬¬ whoops) then I tend to ruin my voice for a couple of years. Although that cold virus is reeeeeeeeeeeally cute =) They have other viruses on there but I quite like the yogurt and the red blood cell =) TB is also pretty cute as it is bright green. They're wonderful, I would buy lots of them.
www.thinkgeek.com is an amazing site though.


Ok so it has been a lot sunnier recently but I want it to be warm. I'm such a wuss and even though I prefer the colder months because there are no insects it's be a pretty long and cold winter. Fewer illnesses as well =)

Here comes the sun doo de doo de =D






The G&S crew had a karaoke night and Ralph sang that... I only know the one line though... here comes the suuun =D I sang Don't Marry Her by The Beautiful South and slipped in a few cheeky curse words that are in the album version of the song. We all had a cracking evening. I really love karaoke with them. (they are all so much cooler than I am =p).

Question: Where do those really tiny flies come from? The ones that are generally found around computer monitors? The really teeny weeny annoying things... I've never known how they get in my room... they just are there sometimes.

OMG I FINISHED A BOOK!

As you can probably read it was The Picture Of Dorian Gray. I felt rather intellectual reading it. I get that with books that are considered literary classics. It's like... these books have been considered of a high enough caliber to be in a special club and I'm reading one. They're normally too hard for me to read but this one was quite good actually. I had seen the recent film with that pretty male playing Dorian... Ben Barnes. He has a bit of a butt chin going on but he isn't unpleasant to look at.(image below). The book was quite fun to read, the ideas that Sir Henry Wotton brought up were rather interesting to note. As a social discussion it was very interesting. For those not in the know, Dorian Gray starts out life as a very pretty boy who is the muse of Basil Hallward, an artist, and meets HW whilst sitting for a painting. He is very innocent and seems to be charmed by everything around him. HW finds him fascinating and in a discussion very early on he tells Dorian that he is to make the most of his youth and beauty for they will not last long.
On seeing his finished portrait Dorian, in a fit of rage and sorrow, curses it so that it may age and he does not. He bargains his soul for this (kind of unintentionally, mind). The story pretty much tells you of how HW's influence on Dorian and the search for pleasure damages his soul.
All in all it was a very pleasant read and now I am back to reading urban fantasy =p

Something that was amusing was that whilst reading it the language that I was using was rather influenced in a day to day basis. I get that a lot and it amuses me. At one point I was highly overdramatic and saying things like "I am the most miserable today, I do not know how I shall ever cope!" *places hand on forehead and swoons*
=D

4/100... I'm so behind =\

Love you all  Buttercup xxx

2 comments:

  1. THERE ARE ONLY 251 POKEMON AND NO MORE! :P

    I wouldn't attribute all of how Dorian turns out to Sir Henry by any means. Sir Henry may have put him on that path, but really he's not particularly under anyone's influence but his own, with the added point that there are no consequences for him.

    I get what you mean about it affecting your language, because while I don't generally notice much of a change in mine from what I'm reading, I'm pretty sure the general nature of my personal lexicon is due in no small part to the kind of things which I have read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I know I simplified a lot... It's hard for me to work out plots without spoilering too much for people once I've finished reading... memory and sieve are the problem =p

    And no seriously, there are some really interesting new pokemon coming out. Like a flying type... pure flying! It's never happened before, always been flying and normal. There is some rubbish ofc, but there are some really interesting new ones. Although... I don't really know any of the names of the new ones =p they're all probably silly... oooh one is called pidove =D it looks like a pigeon

    ReplyDelete