Sunday 26 August 2012

In the dark of the night just before dawn

I finished a book this morning that was actually very good. It was one of those "I'm going to put this book down now because I've read a lot of it but somehow it's now back in my hand only five minutes later" type of books. It wasn't mindblowing, it wasn't groundbreaking but it was interesting and that was nice.

I picked it up because the cover intrigued me. That whole saying of don't judge a book by it's cover? Ha! Some of my favourite books I picked up because I liked the cover, it's an excellent way to judge a book. I mean yes it doesn't always work and really in life you shouldn't judge things by covers but I find if it has a pretty cover I'm more likely to pick it up. The book that is, not random people :P
It is a little confusing though because there are three threads of story throughout although two of them become closer and closer together. One is the past/present, one is future/present (it depends on which bit you are reading although theoretically I think they are all written in past tense but so really it's past/past and future/past but nyeeeeeeh) and the other (which is less frequent) is present/second-person. That one is weird but quite nice because not many authors ever use it.
There are two main characters; Celia and Marco. There is a mysterious circus. There is magic and illusion, monochomacity. There is a game that some call a challenge. It is mostly set 1880-1900.

Really instead of reading I should have been working on the Princess Ida score that I'm copying. I've got to part way through act 2 finale and I've stopped. part of it is because my laptop doesn't fit on my desk anymore and thus I can't do my now usual dual screenage. That means I should tidy but that is such a mammoth task that I don't start because it's scary. One could almost say that it is scrry biscuits. I have been doing little bits, the bits that I find fun. Mostly organising my books. I can see the order in them and where they need to go and how best to maximise space so it is nice and easy to do. Normal tidying where a thing could go there, or there or over here and even somewhere completely different, is hard because I don't know where it would be best to put and so I don't put it anywhere except maybe a little to the left of where it was, or in the ever growing piles of stuff on my floor. When I have my own place someday my bedroom is going to contain a bed and some wardrobes and that is it (or thereabouts). No computer, most books elsewhere (obviously not the current read if I have been reading in bed). No instruments. No piles of stuff. All of that can go in other rooms. Ah I can only dream of this as a thing so far (and probably only ever dream of this as a thing because really, I'm going to end up with crap in my room regardless because that is what I am like :P).
I should go back to more productive things than procrastinating on here. The internet is a terrible and wonderful thing. Terribly wonderful and wonderfully terrible :D

Loves,
Buttercup xxxxx

2 comments:

  1. One day may I borrow this book please? You have intrigued me! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally blogspot has a REPLY button :D and this is an excellent way to test it. If you want I can bring it next time I see you, I was going to lend it to mama but she just started a new book so you can have dibs if you wish xxx

      Delete